being on a healthy diest does not mean you cannot enjoy a cheese-tastic fried eggplants dish baked in the oven!
satisfy your cheesy-cravings, and get your own homemade eggplants meal. great way to get the kids to star appreciating veggetables as well.
you can make ahead this dish and freeze it until use.
How to make it
- Place 2 layers of paper towels on a baking sheet or cutting board. Place half the eggplant slices on the paper towels. Sprinkle with ¾ teaspoon salt. Cover with another double layer of paper towels. Top with the remaining eggplant slices and sprinkle with the remaining ¾ teaspoon salt. Cover with another double layer of paper towels. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- position oven racks in upper and lower positions and place a large baking sheet on each rack to heat; preheat to 425°F.
- Blot the eggplant slices with more paper towels. Put flour in one shallow dish, egg whites in another. Combine breadcrumbs and 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning in a third dish. Dip each slice of eggplant in the flour, shake off excess. Dip in the egg, get rid of any excess , then press into the breadcrumbs.
- Remove the heated baking sheets from the oven and brush both of the sheets with 2 tablespoons oil. Place half the eggplant on each baking sheet,don't let the slices touch. Generously coat the tops with cooking spray. Bake for 15 minutes. Flip the slices over and continue baking until golden brown, about 15 minutes more
- Combine crushed tomatoes and the remaining 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning in a medium bowl.
- To assemble: Coat two 8-inch-square baking dishes with cooking spray. Spread ½ cup of the tomatoes in each prepared baking dish. Make a layer of 6 eggplant slices over the sauce. Spread with 1 cup of tomatoes and sprinkle with ¼ cup mozzarella. Top with the remaining 6 slices of eggplant, a generous 1 cup tomatoes, ½ cup mozzarella and 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
- To serve: Bake until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes. Serve garnished with basil.